1. NAME AND TITLE OF DATA LIBRARY
UKNDL81: The Aldermaston Nuclear Data Library.
2. NAME AND TITLE OF DATA RETRIEVAL PROGRAMS
No retrieval program is included in the package.
Atomic Weapons Research Establishment, Aldermaston, Berks, United Kingdom, through the NEA Data Bank, Gif-sur-Yvette, France.
4. HISTORICAL BACKGROUND AND INFORMATION
The last status report on the UKNDL related to the general purpose library NDL1 and was published in 1973. A new computer was introduced at Winfrith and, since it had no convenient software facility for handling the existing sub-file structure of a standard binary-mode UKNDL library tape, it was necessary to modify the existing format of the binary-mode library tapes. With the revised tape format, the Winfrith suite of UKNDL codes and library tapes, which are now operable on the ICL-2976, can be readily transferred to the IBM 3033 computer.
In the period 1973-1979 some minor inconsistencies were noted and some new evaluations became available. Revising and recompiling of the 1973 edition of NDL1 was completed in early 1980 and was distributed along with NDL3. Subsequent work revealed more errors and defects and, after these were corrected, the decision was made to re-issue NDL2 as well.
5. APPLICATION OF THE DATA
UKNDL81 contains the 1981 editions of NDL1, NDL2, and NDL3, and also references nearly 500 UKNDL archived files. The user can see what neutron reaction cross sections are available in any given file and the energy range over which these data are tabulated by referring to the Story and Smith report cited in 10 b.
6. SOURCE AND SCOPE OF DATA
UKNDL81 contains the following data:
1) NDL1: general purpose neutron cross section data for 82 reactor materials. The 1973 edition has been modified by adding new evaluations, and conversions of American ENDF files. 11 files superseded by improved data have been removed.
2) NDL2: neutron cross section data for 192 fission product nuclides. Contains capture, elastic, inelastic, and transport cross sections in the energy range from 1.0263 meV to 15 MeV. Several consistency errors have been corrected.
3) NDL3: 63 files of neutron cross section data, mainly for activation detectors. New files have been added and superseded data removed.
7. DISCUSSION OF THE DATA RETRIEVAL PROGRAM
8. DATA FORMAT AND COMPUTER
Card images; IBM 3033 (D00107I303300).
9. TYPICAL RUNNING TIME
No study has been made by RSIC of typical running times for UKNDL81. The graphics routines ran in 1.2 seconds for a set of 275 resonances with the option NCAS=1.
a. Included in documentation:
K. Parker, "The Aldermaston Nuclear Data Library," AWRE Report No. O-70/63 (September 1963).
J. S. Story and R. W. Smith, "The 1981 Edition of the United Kingdom Nuclear Data Library: A Status Summary," (September 1981).
b. Background information:
J. S. Story, R. W. Smith, "MINIGAL Output from the 1981 Edition of the U.K. Nuclear Data Library Giving 2200 m/sec and Thermal Cross Sections, Resonance Integrals, 14 MeV Data and Fission Spectrum Averages," AEEW M1863 (1981).
A. L. Pope, "The Current Edition of the Main Tape NDL-1 of the U.K. Nuclear Data Library," AEEW M1208 (1973).
W. K. Bertram, E. Clayton, J. H. Cook, W. D. Ferguson, A. R. Musgrove, E. K. Rose, "A Fission Product Group Cross Section Library," (NDL2) AAEC/E214 (1971).
11. CONTENTS OF LIBRARY
Included are the referenced documents in (10.a) and either four DS/HD 3.5-in. (1.44 MB) diskettes in self-extracting compressed DOS files, or one DC6150 cartridge tape in TAR format, which contains cross section data.
12. DATE OF ABSTRACT
KEYWORDS: FISSION PRODUCT CROSS SECTIONS; NEUTRON CROSS SECTIONS